Ministry of Health announces Get Fit for Festival 50 campaign
BRADES, Montserrat – The Ministry of Health & Social Services has announced a campaign to encourage residents on Montserrat to get up and get moving ahead of the island’s 50th Cultural Festival this December.
Get Fit for Festival 50 is the theme of the campaign launched at the beginning of August. The ministry has been in discussions with key stakeholders since the Caribbean Nutrition Day in June to develop more strategies to engage the population and reduce the risks of diseases such as high blood pressure and diabetes.
“We live a very sedentary lifestyle and we need to get more active,” says Elijah Silcott, Permanent Secretary for the Ministry of Health & Social Services. “Leading up to Caribbean Wellness Day in September we have organised a series of activities that we hope church groups, schools, civil servants and the public at large will join in.”
The two main activities to celebrate Caribbean Wellness Day in September will be a Non-Communicable Diseases Forum and a Physical Fitness Jamboree. The forum is scheduled for Wednesday September 12th and will take a Multi-Sectorial Approach to combat the challenges faced with NCD’s such as Diabetes and Hypertension, Silcott explained. The jamboree is scheduled for Saturday, September 15 at the Little Bay Playing Field.
“We are very conscious of the need to get people active because physical activity is one of the required elements to combat these non-communicable diseases,” he added “We will also be looking at other initiatives to take our campaign into our December 2012 Festival.”
During the month of August, the ministry will be hosting the following events:
- Tuesday, August 14th – Aerobics Exercises, 5:00pm, at the Little Bay Playing Field
- Wednesday, August 22nd – Dancercise, 5:00pm, at the Good Life Night Club.
- Thursday, August 30th – A 3K Walk around the New Town starting at 5pm
- Monday, September 3rd – Beach activities at Little Bay, 5:00pm
- Tuesday, September 11th – Dancercise at Good Life Night Club, 5:00pm
- Monday, August 6th – Hike from Bottomless Ghaut through the Furlonge Trail. (Completed)