Members of Cabinet met on Thursday August 18, 2022 and discussed a number of matters of national importance as follows:
RACE AND SPEED TRIAL (DESIGNATION OF PLACE) ORDER AMENDMENT TO SCHEDULE
- the issuance of the Race and Speed Trial (Designation of Place) Order for one year with effect from 1 August 2022 to 31 July 2023;
- List of persons permitted to participate in a race or speed trial is as follows:
Anisa T. M. Lindsey
Ashaunte Ellen Fenton
Jamilia F. L. Greenaway
Jervian R. Boatswain
Jovarn E. M. Thornhill
Marshalls And Pit Crews
Nevis Drag Drivers International Competitors
Rondel K. Tuitt
Stevika T. A. Rodney
Terry Jerry Prince
Victor James Jr.
The following registered nurses:
A member of the Royal Montserrat Police Service
A member of the Montserrat Fire and Rescue Service
A medical practitioner registered under the Medical Act (Cap. 14.02)
Marshalls and pit crew members
3. the amendment of Schedule 5, to specify Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays during the period 1 August 2022 to 31 July 2023.
REQUEST FOR DUTY FREE EXEMPTION FOR MS MABEL VENZEN
- the exemption from Customs Duty and Consumption Tax for Ms Mabel Venzen.
- that the exemption would be for one (1) year, effective from 19 August 2022 to 18 August 2023.
FISCAL RELIEF PACKAGE THROUGH ELECTRICITY BILL PAYMENT
- monthly payments in the following amounts, over the three (3) month period, for customers in the categories as indicated:
|Monthly Amount||Monthly Consumption Range|
|$300||31 – 100 KWh|
|$200||101 – 200 KWh|
|$100||201 KWh and over|
2. Persons who consumed 30KWh and below will not receive any payment unless they indicate to the Social Welfare Department that they had been present on island and their consumption was below the threshold. If sufficient evidence was provided, their accounts will be credited monthly with $300;
Cabinet requested a report from Montserrat Utilities Limited (MUL), after the second month of payments, to determine the Company’s financial position.
VISIT OF FILM CREW
Cabinet noted that in collaboration with the Tourism Division, a film crew was desirous of visiting the island in October 2022 to do a 90-minute documentary on Montserrat.
PUBLIC SERVICE REFORM
Cabinet noted the aim to have the Public Service appropriately equipped to deliver government policy. Reform would be progressed as opportunities arise, and where there is the greatest need. Changes within the current financial and headcount envelopes will be actioned. All opportunities will aim to include development, training and mobility opportunities.
REPAIRS AT MONTSERRAT CULTURAL CENTRE
Cabinet noted that members of the HMS Protector had completed repairs to the shutters at the Montserrat Cultural Centre. Assistance had been provided by MS Osborne Ltd with a portion of the materials.