Montserrat Government UK Office
Overview of Department:
The Montserrat Government UK Office is a division in the Office of the Premier. The Office was opened in October 1998 following the appointment of a UK Representative with a mandate to provide information to the Government, to liaise with Her Majesty’s Government (HMG) to support the Montserrat community in the UK, to promote trade and tourism and to provide a secretariat service to visiting Government of Montserrat’s Ministers and officials.
To meet this mandate the Office liaises with all ministries in the Government of Montserrat and all relevant departments of HMG, UK Parliamentarians, non-governmental organizations and associations in the UK and Europe.
To implement the Government of Montserrat (GoM) policies as mandated. in respect of its interests in the United Kingdom (UK) and Europe.
The inspiring Government Office for the best practice as a strategic policy hub that fosters Montserrat’s development, with innovative and effective partnering of its constituent Units.
- Represents the GoM in the UK and Europe.
- Attend and actively participate in the work of the UK Overseas Countries and Territories Association (UKOTA).
- Attend and actively participate in the activities of EU Overseas Countries and Territories Association (OCTA).
- Represents GoM at HMG meetings.
- Represents GoM at official State events and diplomatic functions.
- Provision of assistance with proof of identification and verification of documents.
- Assist with acquisition of registry documents birth certificates, marriage certificates).
- Provide eligibility checks regarding immigration status in the UK.
Assistance to Montserratians in the UK
- Provision of assistance and advice to persons seeking information relating to access to social housing and other social benefits.
- Provision of assistance to persons seeking guidance on charitable financial assistance with bereavement and one off-donation.
- Meet regularly with leaders of the Montserrat UK community.
- Disseminate information to members of the wider Montserrat Diaspora.
- Provision of promotional materials and information to persons and organizations.
- Provide requisite details to prospective/potential investors.
- Provide a secretariat to visiting Ministers and officials.
Mrs. Janice Panton