A five-member committee has been tasked with undertaking the revision and drafting of the Montserrat National Youth Policy, 2022-2030.
Spearheading the project is Youth Worker within the Department of Community, Youth & Sports Services – Ms. Claris Yearwood. She is ably assisted by committee members:
- Ms. Nerissa Golden
- Mr. Jermaine Wade
- Ms. Michelle Cassell and
- Ms. Alba Smeriglio-Heimpold.
The process, which began in July, will include but is not limited to:
- Reviews of related youth policies
- Stakeholder engagements
- Public consultations and
- Core management consultations
The committee has indicated that it is expected to commence stakeholder engagements in late August. These are expected to encompass a wide cross-section of youth, civic groups, public and private sector agencies and religious entities.
The purpose of the Montserrat National Youth Policy is to facilitate the development of an environment that optimizes the potential of all youth residing on Montserrat. Specifically, the policy seeks to do the following:
- Define a common vision for youth development
- Articulate the framework for the local service providers and at the same time attract international donors working in youth development
- Articulate the roles and responsibilities of youth in their personal and national development
- Serve as a tool for advocacy and the multi-sectoral approach to Youth Development and
- Guide the Youth Department in the development and delivery of its programmes.
The revision and drafting of the Montserrat National Youth Policy is forecasted to be completed within 6 – 7 months from the commencement date.